Animal Health AssistantPosted: September 25, 2019 | |
The Public Health Command at Ellsworth AFB Veterinary Treatment Facility is seeking an Animal Health Assistant, NF-01/02/03
Please see the job posting at: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/544594100
- May assist veterinarian to prepare for and during surgical procedures, to include preparing surgery packs, scalpel blades, and suture material, monitoring a patient using an anesthetic machine.
- May serve as scrubbed surgical assistant. Continuously informs medical staff of the changes in general condition of patient during surgical procedures.
- Prepares and administers vaccinations, oral and topical medications to patient as prescribed by the veterinarian. Prepares and dispenses prescription medication according to veterinarian instructions.
- Applies knowledge of common topics to assist clients in solving common husbandry problems.
- Applies knowledge of preventive care, disease prevention, lifestyle risks, and veterinary care to provide individualized wellness counseling to clients.
- May provide training to lower level staff.
Conditions of Employment
- Direct Deposit and Social Security Card is required
- Meet qualification/eligibility/background requirements for this position
- Satisfactorily complete an employment verification (E-Verify) check
- A one year probationary period may be required
- Completed and signed DA Form 3433 is required prior to entrance on duty
- Ability to work occasional Saturdays for special events
- Must not have an aversion to animals, blood, bodily fluids, animal tissues, strong odors, needles, or sharp instruments.
- Successful completion of a Physical Examination to include all mandated immunizations.
QualificationsAnimal Health Aid (Developmental), NF-01:
– Proficiency in oral and written communication skills in the English language. Experience dealing with the general public (which can include babysitting, newspaper delivery, Girl/Boy scouts etc.).
For more information please see PD #20211 (Please click here to view).
Animal Health Assistant (Developmental), NF-02:
– Work experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the above duties which could have been gained at a pet store, farm work, animal shelter etc. Basic requirements include knowledge of approved restraint techniques of animals in accordance with the guidelines of the AVMA – American Veterinary Medical Association or equivalent (e.g. VMSB – Veterinary Medical Standardization Board etc.); and knowledge of proper vaccines and syringe handling.
Highly Preferred: Candidates that possess demonstrated experience including proficiency in basic medical terminology; application of appropriate restraint techniques to perform a variety of routine medical and diagnostic procedures (to include proper radiological techniques); proficiency in recording medical history and treatment in ccSOAP (Chief Complaint Subjective Objective Assessment Plan); explains product information and/or treatment plan to clients as directed by the Veterinarian.
For more information please see PD #20210 (Please click here to view).
Animal Health Assistant (Full Performance), NF-03:
– A minimum of six (6) months demonstrated experience directly related to the duties required in the position that must have been gained through practical application in a Veterinary Medical setting and which demonstrates the knowledge, clinical skills, and abilities essential to perform successfully in accordance with the guidelines of the AVMA – American Veterinary Medical Association or equivalent (e.g. VMSB – Veterinary Medical Standardization Board etc.). Demonstrated experience include: proficiency in basic medical terminology; utilizes correct sterile techniques; apply appropriate restraint techniques to perform a variety of routine medical and diagnostic procedures (to include proper radiological techniques); proficiency in recording medical history and treatment in ccSOAP (Chief Complaint Subjective Objective Assessment Plan); explains product information and/or treatment plan to clients as directed by the Veterinarian; determine preventive wellness plan to include required medical treatments and vaccinations requirements based on patient medical history; utilize in-house laboratory equipment to perform diagnostics tests; conduct routine maintenance on in-house laboratory equipment; completes lab request form for reference laboratories; prepares samples for shipment to outside laboratories.
Highly Preferred: Possess or have the ability to reactivate/obtain a registration, license, or certification as a veterinary assistant or higher through an accredited program (e.g. as identified on the http://www.NAVTA.net website Possess basic supply management experience which includes: ordering supplies, maintaining sufficient stock levels, completing monthly inventory counts and documenting expiration dates of in stock medications and vaccines.
For more information please see PD# 20209 (Please click here to view).
The information provided on your resume should be clear and specific. You will be rated based solely off of the information provided within your resume. Assumptions will not be made regarding your experience and the duties performed.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
Salary is pro-rated based on a 40 hour work week and will be determined based on grade level qualified. Hourly salary is:
NF-01 $9.10 to $9.50
NF-02 $10.91 to $11.00
NF-03 $13.60 to $14.50
(*Note: salary ranges listed above are subject to change without notice at Fund Manager’s discretion)
Work schedule to be determined after hire.
- Manual Application: If you are unable to apply online, you may submit your application package using a manual application method. Please contact the NAF Human Resources Office or representative listed on this job announcement to request a copy of the manual application form. All completed manual application forms (along with resume and other supporting documentation) must be received no later than 4:00pm EST (Monday -Thursday) or 3:00pm EST (Friday) on the closing date of the announcement in order to process your application in a timely manner. Please note that neglecting to respond to the job related questions may result in an ineligible rating.
- There will be weekly cut-off dates for this vacancy beginning on Tuesday, September 10, 2019 at 11:59(EST) and every Tuesday thereafter until this announcement closes. Referral lists will be issued on the Wednesday following the Tuesday cutoff. Applicants that apply after the cut-off date(s) will not be referred until 1) after the next cut-off date 2) the closing date of the vacancy announcement or 3) if a selection is made from the candidate pool of a previous cutoff – whichever comes first.
- Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement for up to 90 days after the closing date.
- Payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS) cost is not authorized, based on a determination that a PCS move is not in the Government’s interest.
- Please check out our Applicant Information Kit to view additional information you may find useful when applying for our jobs (Click here to view kit or copy this URL: https://acpol2.army.mil/chra_dodea/NAF_applicant_info_kit.pdf).
- NOTE TO APPLICANT: Below defines theemployment category for this position:
– Flexible/Intermittent (00 guaranteed hours per week however may be scheduled to work between 0-40 hours per week based on mission needs)
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies: Minimum Qualifications, Conditions of Employment, Physical Requirements, Highly Preferred Criteria, and Integrity Certification.
Applicants can claim the following eligibilities:
- NAF Preference – Involuntarily Separated From the Military
- NAF Preference – Spouse Employment Preference (SEP)
- NAF Priority Consideration – Business Based Action
- NAF Priority Consideration – Current Appropriated Funds Employee CNE (APF)
- NAF Priority Consideration – Current/Former NAF Employee (CNE/FNE)
- NAF Priority Consideration – Outside Applicant Veteran (OAV)
- NAF Priority Consideration – Spouse/Widow/Parent of Veteran (OAV)
Qualified Preference-eligible candidates (e.g. Military Spouse Preference, Involuntarily Separated Military Preference) meeting the highly preferred criteria will be referred to management first.
If an additional list is required, Non-Preference Eligible Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and meeting the highly preferred criteria will be referred to management.
Lastly, if no selection was made off of the previous lists, management may make selections for candidates meeting the minimum qualifications only
NOTE: Candidates meeting the full performance level (NF-03) will be referred to the selecting official first. If the selecting official does not make a selection at the full performance level qualified candidates meeting the NF-02 and/or NF-01 criteria will be referred
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
The following documents must be submitted with your application:
Optional: Our Job Application (DA Form 3433) will accepted in place of a Resume
The below items are accepted and may be needed to support a qualification and/or a claimed priority/preference:
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- DA Form 3433
- DA Form 3434
- Marriage Certificate
- ISMP Card for Involuntarily Separated Military Personnel
- PCS Orders
- Professional Certification
- Reasonable Accommodation Documentation
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
- How to Apply
How to Apply
You may submit your application package using one of the two methods identified below:
- Electronically (preferred) at https://www.usajobs.gov/ and search for Vacancy Identification Number (VIN). Announcement closes at 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the closing date listed on this announcement.
- Manually: Please refer to the “Additional Information” section of this announcement for instructions.
Agency contact information
APG NAF HRO GVMP/FSH
AddressAG-NAF-W03HAA US ARMY PUBLIC HEALTH CENTER
DO NOT MAIL
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21005
Your resume will be reviewed to verify that qualification requirements have been met. We appreciate your interest in this position!