Executive Coordinator – City of Rapid CityPosted: June 24, 2019
Please see this link for full description:
- ABOUT US
The City of Rapid City Mayors Office’s provides general government administration in terms of budgeting, policy, and providing executive direction. Rapid City utilizes an Aldermanic Form of Municipal Government, meaning the Mayor is the CEO of government operations and the primary representative of the executive branch. The Common Council consists of our Mayor and ten Council members, two members from each of our five wards. It is the mission of the Mayor’s Office to serve Rapid City with integrity and excellence.
- ABOUT OUR JOB
This role provides professional executive support directly to the Mayor, City Council, and provides administrative support of the day-to-day operations and activities of the Mayor’s Office. Helps promote good public relations with citizenry and other governmental and private sector entities. The Mayor’s Executive Coordinator also serves as a representative at on-site meetings with the Mayor or in place of the Mayor. This position must be able to work under pressure at times to handle a wide variety of activities and confidential matters with discretion. This role includes a variety of responsibilities and requires excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and flexibility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform executive administrative support duties, including functions such as typing, scheduling and coordinating meetings and appointments, correspondence processing for the Mayor’s Office.
- Evaluate, prioritize, and respond to scheduling requests; maintain Mayor’s day-to-day schedule including requests from City Council members, City officials, community leaders, organizations, and citizens.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and requisition supplies.
- Respond to telephone calls and email requests and resolve routine problems, concerns and complaints expressed by the general public regarding City government and direct complainant(s) to the appropriate department for resolution. Provide specialized information to community organizations and to out-of-city/state callers.
- Process, as assigned, correspondence to and from the Mayor’s Office; evaluate incoming mail/messages, both paper and electronic.
- In conjunction with other Mayor’s Staff, including but not limited to, Administrative Staff and the City Communications Coordinator, coordinate the Mayor’s day-to-day activities ensuring background material is prepared and available in advance of the Mayor’s meetings, appearances, and speaking engagements.
- Coordinate requests from the community asking for City support and/or assistance; prepare draft and final copy of correspondence, reports, documents and memoranda to the public, various agencies, and City Staff.
- Review, prioritize, schedule or refer requests and inquiries to the appropriate City department; research difficult citizen complaints, meet with complainant if necessary, and/or assign responsibility for resolution with proper follow-up.
- Organize special events for the Mayor, such as various City/private business meetings, dinners for visiting dignitaries and guests, travel arrangements, etc.
- Maintain records of appointment to various citizen boards and commissioners, review minutes and send out notices as direct, and develop a list of potential volunteers.
- Create/design presentations as needed.
- Additional Information
- ABOUT YOU
We are looking for an organized and motivated professional with strong oral and written communication skills. Must have excellent Microsoft Office and customer service skills as well as a strong attention for detail. We need someone with the ability to take direction from different angles as well as a willingness to learn and adapt to rapidly changing organizational demands. This individual will be a hard working, self-starter who has an interest in providing administrative support and recommendations for administrative continuous improvements.
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated organizational skills with the ability to plan and prioritize work, multitask, and set and meet deadlines.
- The ability to function with a team-oriented mindset, in support of the Mayor, City Council, and City Directors on a daily basis.
- The ability to adapt to changing responsibilities and requirements.
- The ability to quickly master new technologies and responsibilities.
We understand your time is valuable, so we encourage you to apply if you possess one of the following minimum requirements:
- Associates degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school and minimum 5-7+ years progressively responsible experience in performing administrative, executive and communication support duties.
- High school diploma or GED equivalent and 8-9+ years progressively responsible experience in performing administrative, executive and communication support duties or any such combination of education, closely related experience, and training (i.e. Administrative Professional/Office Management certificate) that may be acceptable to the hiring authority.
- City of Rapid City
300 Sixth Street
Rapid City, South Dakota, 57701