NRCS GS-0303 Administrative Support Assistant Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans: Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA)Posted: April 22, 2019
This is a call for resumes, by close of business (COB) on Monday, May 6th, for:
- A Special Hiring Authority opportunity with one (1) job location in Brookings, SD.
- The position will be part-time 24 hours, up to 40 hours full time, permanent position with USDA/Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).
- SD NRCS desires to fill this position by utilizing Special Hiring Authorities for Veterans: Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA).
- This position will not be advertised in USAJOBS at this time.
- The job will be for an Administrative Support Assistant (ASA) requiring education and/or experience to meet NRCS GS-0303 series (Clerical and Administrative Support Positions). This position calls for at least one year of specialized experience.
- Duties include: Office job with computer responsibilities completing; travel, purchasing, and timesheets.
- Position pay grade is GS-5 with Full Performance Level of 6.
- Please have all interested student veterans, clients or post members submit their resume and redacted DD-214 member 4 to Steve Maras, NRCS Veterans Special Emphasis Program Manager, email to: email@example.com
- If there are questions specific to the position, please contact Michelle Burke, NRCS Assistant State Conservationist (ASTC) for Field Operations, Brookings, at (605) 692-2344 Extension 108.
Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA)
Veterans Recruitment Appointment (VRA) is an excepted authority that allows an agency to non-competitively appoint an eligible veteran. If you:
- Served during a war or are in receipt of a campaign badge for service in a campaign or expedition; OR
- are a disabled veteran, OR
- are in receipt of an Armed Forces Service Medal (includes the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal)for participation in a military operation, OR
- are a recently separated veteran (within 3 years of discharge), AND
- separated under honorable conditions (this means an honorable or general discharge).
You can be appointed under this authority at any grade level up to and including a GS-11 or equivalent. This is an excepted service appointment. Upon satisfactory completion of 2 years of substantially continuous service, you will be converted to the competitive service. If an agency has two or more VRA candidates and at least one is preference eligible, the veterans’ preference procedures of 5 CFR, part 302 of OPM’s regulations must be applied when using the VRA authority.
Agencies may also use VRA to fill temporary (not to exceed 1 year) or term (more than 1 year but not to exceed 4 years) positions. If you are employed in a temporary or term position under VRA, you will not be converted to the competitive service after 2 years.
There is no limit to the number of times you can apply under VRA, as long as you meet the definition of a covered veteran under applicable law.
You must provide acceptable documentation of your preference or appointment eligibility. The member 4 copy of your DD214, “Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty,” is preferable. If claiming 10 point preference, you will need to submit a Standard Form (SF-15 (PDF file)), “Application for 10-point Veterans’ Preference.”