Mechanical EngineerPosted: February 26, 2019
Classification Exempt/Full Time
Reports to Design Lead
Date January 1, 2019
Candidate will be able to work independently and as a consulting engineer on various architectural, civil and landscape projects as assigned by the Department Manager and firm leadership. This position functions under the direction of the Mechanical / Electrical Department Manager and is required to manage multiple projects.
The Mechanical Engineer for FourFront Design is an experienced engineer who can define a project, develop a set of tasks to accomplish the project, coordinate and monitor the work involved in the tasks and deliver a final product on time and within prescribed budget. He/she must have a general understanding of all mechanical systems including plumbing, fire protection, heating, ventilating, air conditioning and temperature controls. Candidate will have oversight and management of this discipline of work as well as responsibility for coordination with other disciplines associated with each specific project. The position responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to; preliminary designs, sustainable design criteria, LEED compliance, project budgeting and construction cost estimating, presentations, plan and specification generation, bidding and construction administration responsibilities.
- Assess the requirements of the project and client’s needs and be able to manage the design and production aspects of the project.
- Function as the mechanical project manager and/or mechanical project engineer; responsible for design, planning, organizing and directing the activities of Mechanical Engineering for FourFront projects.
- Develop and maintain production and CAD standards that coordinate with current company standards. Responsible for management of mechanical design Quality Control procedures.
- Promote and provide expertise in sustainable design practices as required by the project. Familiarization with LEED principles is required.
- Review design and construction budgets and schedules; manage work accordingly.
- Participate in company and project meetings.
- Determine mechanical design and project scope, budget and staffing requirements.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and ordnances. Work with code officials and other design professionals when an interpretation or exception to building codes is required.
- Proficient in use of computer and CADD programs. Assign and review work where required and provide coordination with multiple disciplines.
- Provide construction administrative reviews, application for payment reviews, prompt reports and required coordination.
- Resolve day-to-day problems of mostly technical nature. When acting as a project leader, responsibility includes meeting schedule, budget and quality requirements. At times, individual will be responsible for review of construction documents prior to final review.
- Assist in the education and development of mechanical design staff and act as a resource for mechanical design questions.
- Maintain neat and organized work area which allows efficient access to project information required by other team members.
- Interpret the intent of mechanical contract drawings and specifications for the Client, General Contractor, Building Inspector and other interested parties.
- Prepare and distribute schedules, shop drawings and samples.
- Responsible for the accuracy and quality of all technical work.
- Participates in the preparation of proposals.
- Reviews invoices before distribution to the client.
- Coordinate work of outside consultants in the area of mechanical engineering.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Proficiency in AutoCADD.
- Proficiency in Revit MEP.
- Familiarity with mechanical analysis and design programs.
- Thorough command of software applications including Microsoft Office
- Strong organizational skills and temperament to work effectively and accurately to meet deadlines.
Required Education and Experience
- PE in Mechanical Engineering preferred, or a minimum of 3 years’ previous mechanical design experience and registration as an Engineer in Training / Engineering Intern (EIT / EI).
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering related field from an accredited college or university.
- Professional Engineering license in the state of South Dakota or ability to obtain one is required within 1 year.
- Minimum of LEED GA certification required or sufficient knowledge of LEED principles to become LEED accredited
The Mechanical Engineer reports the Design Department Lead.
Interaction and coordination with senior leadership, project managers, and technical staff required.
Interaction with community and client representatives.
This position does not supervise subordinate staff.
This job operates primarily in an office setting. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, multi-line phones, multifunctional printing devices, filing cabinets and fax machines. Occasional visits to job sites required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is largely a sedentary role.
Expected Hours of Work
Standard work days and hours are Monday through Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand. Flexibility in schedule considered if job duties are satisfactorily met.
This position may require occasional travel.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance (if applicable)
Must be able to work in the United States.
As a federal contractor, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans and Persons with a Disability. Qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information or other characteristic protected under applicable Federal and State laws.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be
performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job‐related instructions and to perform any other job‐related duties requested by their supervisor. Furthermore, the company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee’s job duties at any time at its sole discretion.
This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
P: (605) 342-9470
F: (605) 342-2377