Black Hills Corp- Utility Construction Planning Manager (Fountain, CO)Posted: October 6, 2017
Job Title: Utility Construction Planning Manager (31114)
SALARY RANGE: $75,000 – $97,530
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on October 11, 2017.
LOCATION: Fountain, CO
Provide leadership and direct supervision of Utility Construction Planners and Specialists. Ensure projects are effectively prioritized and implemented. Accountable for ensuring that tariffs are consistently applied throughout the state and that direct reports are utilizing software and processes consistently. Ensure capital and maintenance projects are planned such that projects can be accomplished in a timely and cost effective manner. Ensure consistency and compliance with Black Hills Energy (BHE) standards, customer service policies and procedures.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Director (State Operations)
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide direct supervision of Utility Construction Planners and Specialists to ensure consistent deliverables.
- Ensure customers are provided with superior service in accordance with BHE policies and procedures.
- Ensure work is planned such that construction can be accomplished in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Understand and ensure implementation of Company processes, policies and procedures.
- Ensure that designs, estimates, and construction prints meet BHE processes and standards, by review and approval of work orders.
- Communicate and provide consistent training for Planners in industry and BHE’s regulatory processes, policies, and standards.
- Provide leadership, partnership and communication between BHE departments, along with other BHC entities.
- Regularly provide feedback to direct reports, coaching and developing employees for optimum performance.
- Promote learning and self-empowerment of others to maximize their potential.
- Develop a culture of learning, development, and trusting relationships with direct reports.
- Provide leadership, direction, guidance, training, and effective communication to develop and mentor work group.
- Monitor budgets and spending within the department.
- Monitor actual vs. estimated cost on capital work orders and explain/justify variances.
- Document significant variances and search for ways to continuously improve the department and company.
- Identify opportunities for continuous improvement on estimating projects.
- Lead or co-lead design function of major, unique, and sensitive projects. Communicate with business development team.
- Provide input for Capital/O&M budget creation and prioritization.
- Work to ensure all work orders are placed in-service and closed in a timely manner.
- Provide oversight and management of customer contracts, contributions in aid of construction, refundable construction deposits, and technical services agreements as needed.
- Ensure 3rd Party Damage estimates are accurate, consistent and in accordance with Company processes.
- Assist with third party construction contract negotiations as needed.
- Be proactive in safety and promote a culture of safety.
- Understand and be able to communicate marketing programs and policies to direct reports.
- Review, implement and maintain feasibility models.
- Perform and manage special projects that may be assigned.
- Assist with PUC audits as needed.
- Provide backup for local Operations Supervisor(s) and Managers as needed.
- Assist with storm/outage restoration as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Open communication and reporting to local Operations, key accounts/growth team, and BHE management team.
- Positive working relationships with local operations personnel, supply chain, engineering, and other BHE support staff.
- Positive working relationships and communications with local community and customers served.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to monitor multiple projects concurrently.
- Minimum five (5) years utility industry experience required.
- Three (3) or more years of management experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business or related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of electrical/natural gas standards for construction, methods, and materials.
- Knowledge of cost estimating and variance reporting.
- General knowledge of rates, marketing programs and customer service programs offered by BHE.
- Knowledge of BHE safety policies and procedures preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain proficiency with new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Leadership skills and ability to participate in cross functional utility teams.
- Strong attention to detail with ability to document and track multiple projects and work goals.
- Excellent computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office applications, and trade related software (GIS Mapping, Work Order Estimating, and Customer Information Systems).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with employees, customers, and contractors.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize and direct the work of employees in a safe and efficient manner.
- Available to provide off-hours support as required.
- Must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply