Black Hills Corp- Instrument Technician II (Gillette, WY)Posted: October 2, 2017
Job Title: Instrument Technician II (31095)
SALARY RANGE: $31 – $41 per hour
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on October 11, 2017.
LOCATION: Gillette, WY
Perform plant instrumentation and electrical functions. Provide technical support for the plant programmable controllers, distributive control and instrumentation systems (DCIS), and related electrical and instrument control equipment for coal fired steam generating and gas combustion turbine processes. Please note: This position will primarily be responsible for the combustion turbine equipment, functions and maintenance at multiple business locations.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Maintenance Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work under minimal supervision to repair, service and maintain plant instrumentation, controls and electrical equipment.
- Repair and maintain control systems on steam turbine and combustion turbine generators, high pressure steam boilers and all auxiliary support equipment.
- Maintain plant DCIS/PLC control systems and related equipment, including programming changes, troubleshooting, and required preventative and corrective maintenance.
- Use PIDs, manuals, and other sources to troubleshoot control of operating plant systems.
- Use, review and update logic drawings.
- Create and perform procedures related to corrective and preventative maintenance of instrumentation, controls and electrical systems.
- Maintain documentation records of calibration, tests, and certification of electrical and instrument equipment.
- Compute and analyze test and trend data to prepare reports on findings and make recommendations for corrective actions.
- Work with and direct contractors and their activities on assigned projects.
- Communicate work progress to manager/supervisor.
- Assist Operations department as assigned.
- Coach and train Operations & Maintenance department staff, including Instrument Technician peers, as required on controls, electrical equipment and craft skills.
- Utilize the work management process to document and report work requested, assigned, and completed.
- Complete plans and estimates for instrument/electric work as assigned.
- Prepare specifications for equipment orders.
- Report abnormal operation to plant management and O&M supervisor.
- Support scheduled and unscheduled call-out support as needed.
- Perform high voltage testing and maintenance as assigned.
- Support site substation operation and maintenance as assigned.
- Perform work in accordance with OSHA safety standards applicable to power plants.
- Perform general housekeeping duties.
- Maintain plant logs on equipment operation.
- Work safely, following company policies, procedures and work practices in a positive, professional manner.
- Provide information for various plant reports.
- All BHP plant personnel
- Customers – internal and external
- Vendors and Contractors
- 4 years power plant experience to include steam turbine generating units and/or gas combustion turbine generating units preferred.
- Calibration and maintenance of process control equipment.
- Two years hands on experience working on electrical equipment.
- ABB/Bailey control system familiarity desirable.
- Familiarity with EAM desirable.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Associate degree in electric or electronics or equivalent technical/military training preferred.
- Working knowledge of coal fired and combustion turbine power generation plant equipment and system processes.
- Working knowledge of LM6000 combustion turbine control systems.
- Working knowledge of test equipment, signal generators, relay test sets, oscilloscopes, and personal computers.
- Working knowledge of ABB DCIS (S+ and Harmony), GE Mark VI and/or Micronet, Siemens PCS7.
- Working knowledge of PLC basics, preferably Allen Bradley.
- Working knowledge of basic computer networking.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to learn plant processes and interpret data.
- Ability to interpret control drawings and PIDs.
- Skilled in configuring and tuning Distributive Control System and PLCs.
- Basic skills in Microsoft Office (i.e. Word and Excel).
- Perform work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work on high voltage systems.
- Ability to operate a forklift and a variety of aerial equipment.
- MSHA High and Low Voltage certified.
- Able to work unscheduled call out work when requested and as scheduled.
- Some travel may be required.
You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Able to work at heights.
- Able to work in hot areas.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply