Black Hills Corp- Fixed Asset Accountant II (Rapid City, SD)Posted: August 10, 2017
Job Title: Fixed Asset Accountant II (31021)
SALARY RANGE: $49,500 – $64,380
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on August 21, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Perform all aspects of property accounting ranging from complex special projects to routine work. Duties will include but are not limited to account analysis, development of property-related forecasts, accounting research projects, responding to audit and commission requests, providing support to financial managers and operations, preparing various routine reports and preparing/reviewing property accounting transactions. This individual will be the subject matter expert on the use and function of the fixed asset accounting software and work with software consultants as necessary.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Fixed Asset Accounting Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the company and to enhance the image of the Property Accounting Department.
- Lead a team of property accounting staff and be responsible for delegating, monitoring, coaching and reviewing work to ensure timely, accurate and complete accounting and analysis for all work assigned.
- Calculate estimated annual AFUDC rates for all utilities – updating throughout the year as necessary, and posting periodic true-ups as appropriate.
- Develop and maintain property accounting policies and procedures. Ensure that systems and procedures are in compliance with company policies, acceptable accounting practices and applicable regulations.
- Serve as a subject matter expert of FERC accounting as it applies to the property function.
- Research and document accounting treatment associated with acquisitions or divestitures of property and prepare pro forma acquisition journal entries.
- Research specific capitalization questions that arise such as capitalization of various software projects, depreciable lives on new projects, etc.
- Prepare the property related sections of the Company’s GAAP based financial statements as well as the quarterly and annual FERC forms.
- Support Financial and Accounting Managers during budget and forecast preparation and serve as the subject matter expert for depreciation forecasting.
- Direct and provide assistance on depreciation studies and rate cases.
- Respond to external and internal auditor requests.
- Prepare other reports and accumulate information for special requests. Ensure that information is timely, accurate and presented in a useful and understandable format.
- Obtain a strong understanding of the fixed asset accounting software and become a subject matter expert on its use and function. Provide assistance as needed on any enhancements or upgrades to the system.
- Present ideas for improving efficiency of duties to the Fixed Asset Accounting Manager and implement approved process changes.
- Prepare and possess a full understanding of the monthly property related journal entries. Maintain documentation of journal entry procedures.
- Complete the monthly reconciliations of property related general ledger accounts. Follow up on discrepancies in a timely manner and implement procedures to ensure adequate resolution.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Directly support and assist the Fixed Asset Accounting Manager and Senior Manager of Corporate Accounting in order to meet deadlines and goals.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with other employees at all levels of the Company, including but not limited to Tax, Internal and External Audit, Regulatory, Corporate Accounting, Financial Managers and Operations.
- 3 or more years accounting experience required.
- Public accounting experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Accounting required.
- Broad understanding of accounting principles, theories and practices.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Knowledge of FERC accounting is preferred.
- Experience with PeopleSoft accounting software and Essbase is preferred.
- Knowledge of PowerPlan software is preferred.
- Ability to perform accounting duties of an above average difficulty.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and complete multiple projects in a timely manner while working in a dynamic environment and adapting to changing priorities.
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, problem-solving and computer skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Ability to lead a team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
- Must be flexible and willing to accept new job responsibilities and assignments.
- CPA certification preferred.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer