Black Hills Corp- Gas Margin Accounting Manager I (Rapid City, SD)Posted: July 11, 2017
Job Title: Gas Margin Accounting Manager I (30959)
SALARY RANGE: $69,800 – $90,740
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on July 25, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Responsible for and oversight of accounting functions related to natural gas accounting, including accurate payments to suppliers and pipelines, appropriate allocation of natural gas costs, purchased gas adjustments, natural gas costs for electric generation units, gas inventory, mark to market and settlement of financial derivatives for natural gas, internal controls over financial reporting, and supervision of staff. Responsible for performing routine and special projects for the operation and support of gas margin accounting, gas supply operations and regulatory including the classification and recording of accounting transactions, accounting analyses, preparation of reports, and interpretation of accounting results.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Assistant Corporate Controller
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide direction to and supervision of gas margin accounting staff.
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete gas accounting within BHC providing monthly and quarterly financial reporting and appropriate variance analysis including but not limited to:
- Accounting for gas costs for gas utilities and electric generation units.
- Accounting for unbilled gas revenues.
- Accounting for gas inventory and gas imbalances.
- MTM accounting for natural gas derivatives.
- Verification and approval of payments to gas suppliers and pipelines, and settlement of financial derivatives for natural gas.
- Timely and accurate confirmations and entering of gas package prices.
- Monthly reconciliations of gas margin accounts, including appropriate and timely follow up on discrepancies and implementation of procedures to ensure adequate controls and resolution.
- Prepare, coordinate or oversee the accurate and timely preparation of and/or review of journal entries; ensure accurate and timely upload and posting of journal entries to the PeopleSoft system.
- Complete and review accounting analyses of gas margin accounts. Interpret and communicate results to applicable individuals including Assistant Corporate Controller, general ledger accounting, financial management and regulatory.
- Partner with teams in finance and accounting and gas supply to provide timely support and ensure open and effective communication.
- Develop familiarity and expertise associated with gas operations, regulatory requirements and appropriate gas accounting principles including:
- Proper handling of gas imbalances, storage activity, pipeline and customer cash-out activity.
- FERC and state tariffs.
- Ensure accurate and timely completion of monthly and quarterly reporting forms for Financial Reporting and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Comply with and ensure accounting policies and practices are appropriately documented and support compliance with GAAP, FERC, and sound business practices.
- Ensure appropriate controls are in place, documented and operating effectively to support strong Internal Controls over Financial Reporting in accordance with sound business practices and in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Assist internal and external auditors with engagements involving natural gas margin accounts.
- Obtain a strong understanding of the automated accounting systems for BHC natural gas activities including Endur, PeopleSoft, and CIS+.
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the company and to enhance the image of the margin accounting function while working toward continuous improvement of processes.
- Identify areas for increasing efficiency and effectiveness and implement changes while maintaining accurate financial information.
- Maintain a current working knowledge of accounting rules and regulations and how those may impact operations, including GAAP, FERC, State Regulations, and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have strong supervisory skills, as this position requires the individual to delegate, monitor, and review assignments as well as coach staff to higher levels of performance.
- Provide for the effective selection, development, and performance management of your team.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with varied stakeholders, including operations, regulatory and the broader accounting department utilizing excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must establish and maintain effective working relationships with counterparties, gas supply operations and load control, general ledger and electric margin accounting, natural gas suppliers and pipeline personnel, financial management, regulatory, and internal and external audit.
- Five (5) plus years of accounting/financial and business experience required.
- Solid understanding of, and experience in accounting required.
- Natural gas utility accounting experience strongly preferred.
- Supervisory experience strongly preferred.
- BS in Accounting/Finance or related discipline required.
- A strong knowledge of natural gas accounting.
- A thorough knowledge of GAAP, including business and accounting methods and procedures.
- A solid understanding of internal controls.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel to create, analyze and support complex financial models.
- Proficiency in automated accounting systems and an understanding of how the accounting system interacts within the different modules.
- A working understanding of utility operations and a basic understanding of regulatory/ratemaking processes and methods preferred.
- An understanding of or willingness to learn and utilize Essbase.
- A basic understanding of financial derivatives and related accounting principles.
- Ability to self-direct workload and prioritize projects and work consistent with company goals.
- Ability to apply strong attention to detail while understanding and considering the big picture.
- Ability to manage effectively in a fast paced environment with multiple priorities.
- Ability to make judgmental decisions with minimal supervision.
- Strong oral and written skills, ability to communicate difficult accounting topics to various levels.
- Ability to drive effective decisions through use of GAAP, FERC and other accounting research.
- Ability to perform accounting duties of an above average difficulty.
- Strong computer and analytical skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- CPA, MPA, CMA or MBA preferred.
- Goal orientation to meet established deadlines including monthly, quarterly, and annual closing schedules.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply