Black Hills Corp- Claims Manager (Rapid City, SD)Posted: May 8, 2017
Job Title: Claims Manager (30881)
SALARY RANGE: $58,650 – $76,200
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on May 24, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Preserve corporate assets through effective claim management. Responsible for managing incidents and claims within retention guidelines, ensuring the adequacy and appropriateness of accruals and individual claim reserves. Design and implementation of processes and procedures, relationships, controls and systems required for managing claims. Must have knowledge of insurance coverage including workers’ compensation, automobile, and liability policies. Administers and maintains the Risk Management Information System to produce reports for divisions, management, and accounting. Interacts with third party claims administrators, insurance company adjusters, safety reps, customers, employees, legal counsel and other parties. Monitors incident reports for significant potential losses and trends.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Insurance Operations
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Coordinate the claims process from notification through closure.
- Maintain involvement from accident investigation, Third Party Administrator (TPA) adjuster interface, reserve review, monitoring of effective medical care, coordination of modified duty, attend legal proceedings and identification of resolution strategies.
- Maintain the Risk Management Information System (RMIS) database- enter uninsured claims and retained claims, monitor monthly and quarterly data pulls from TPAs.
- Produce reports as designated and analyze data to provide cost of risk information.
- Provide quarterly accrual reports and Incurred But Not Reported (IBNR) data for accounting purposes, identify any large discrepancy potentials.
- Identify potential for problems and trends and partner with Safety and Operations for improvement.
- Manage and adjust uninsured claims and claims within corporate retentions including third party property damage claims.
- Assess indemnity, medical and expense exposures on claims.
- Identify and initiate subrogation, mediation and other recovery potentials.
- Maintain a proactive role in litigation management.
- Review and code invoices for claims and administration.
- Attend and facilitate claims reviews with TPAs.
- Assist in training and education on claims processes with field locations.
- Monitor reserves and work with underwriters to reduce Letter of Credit (LOC) collateral.
- Assist in insurance renewal process with loss runs and claims information.
- Review, design, implement and codify claims procedures.
- Lead and manage special projects as assigned.
- Build, maintain and manage relationships with TPAs, legal counsel, case managers, occupational groups, investigators and others.
- Establish communication and provide guidance to supervisors and field personnel.
- Interact with Safety Department, Legal, Risk, Accounting, Human Resources, Operational supervisors and management.
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in an equivalent position.
- Experience with handling and adjusting General Liability, Workers’ Compensation and Automobile liability claims preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Current knowledge of state laws governing workers’ compensation.
- Experience working with RMIS systems.
- Economic and accounting principles.
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, and regulations.
- Familiarity with medical terminology.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility, ability to meet deadlines and be proactive.
- Analytical, negotiation and organization skills, attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to handle simple to moderately complex claims.
- Ability to prioritize diversified work load.
- Moderate travel required.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply