Black Hills Corp- Director, Gas Pipeline and Systems Integrity (Papillion or Omaha, NE or Denver, CO.)Posted: April 7, 2017
JOB NOTICE – Black Hills Corporation – Director, Gas Pipeline and Systems Integrity (30835)
A wide variety of energy sources have made Black Hills Corporation (NYSE: BKH) and its subsidiaries stable and diversified providers of low-cost reliable energy solutions to customers throughout the United States. Discover your career potential in the following opportunity:
Job Title: Director, Gas Pipeline and Systems Integrity (30835)
SALARY RANGE: $113,550 – $157,770
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close April 17, 2017.
LOCATION: This position may be located in Papillion or Omaha, NE or Denver, CO.
Provides strategic direction and centralized oversight of the Company’s natural gas integrity management programs intended to reduce risk across the Natural Gas Utilities’ storage, transmission and distribution system. This includes six natural gas storage fields, about 4,500 miles of transmission pipelines, approximately 28,000 miles of distribution pipelines and over one million services across six states. Specific functional responsibilities include the Transmission Integrity Management Program (TIMP), Distribution Integrity Management Program (DIMP), Storage Integrity Management Program (SIMP), as well as technical oversight of all cathodic protection programs.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Vice President – Gas Engineering
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide leadership and strategic direction for a team of 15 – 25 engineering and technical professionals as well as necessary outside expert consultants.
- Report status and provide recommendations to improve pipeline and system integrity management programs to the Company’s Senior Leadership.
- Develop and coordinate strategic execution of consistent Pipeline and System Integrity Plans across all six Natural Gas Utility States.
- Develop risk prioritized investment plan to mitigate threats and reduce risks on the Company’s gas assets across all jurisdictions.
- Provide expert testimony related to pipeline and system integrity programs in State and Federal regulatory proceedings.
- Lead new technology research and development to improve Pipeline and System Integrity programs.
- Monitor, research and remain abreast of industry developments associated with applicable rules, regulations, standards and related trends that are relevant to the Company’s pipeline and system integrity obligations and make necessary modifications to policies and procedures.
- Apply knowledge and expertise of appropriate Local, Federal and State governing regulations and tariffs across six states to ensure all Pipeline and System Integrity programs are in compliance.
- Coordinate and provide support on all field aspects of the pipeline and system integrity programs, including class location surveys, HCAs, and assessments (ECDA, smart pigging, pressure testing, etc.).
- Administer Corrosion Control program, including implementation and continued improvement of Cathodic Protection training programs and Technical oversight and troubleshooting of cathodic protection system design.
- Develop strong functional leaders and viable succession plans.
- Provide overall leadership to employees, successfully motivating, coaching, and infusing spirit to positively impact service and the company’s bottom line.
- Make key hires and facilitate knowledge transfer and the professional development of staff members.
- Represent the Company in industry forums, associations, and conferences.
- Natural Gas Utility State Vice-Presidents
- Operations Directors
- Gas Asset Optimization Leadership Team
- State Regulatory Leaders
- Industry Peers
- Minimum of ten years of relevant experience in natural gas utility engineering and/or operations with increasingly progressive leadership responsibilities.
- At least five years of direct experience with Pipeline and System Integrity programs.
- Risk modeling experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or technical discipline.
- Advanced degree in technical or business discipline preferred.
- Industry policies, practices, and regulatory plans related to pipeline and system integrity requirements.
- PHMSA regulations, accepted industry practices and methods by NACE, PHMSA/DOT, AGA, ASME, MEA, SGA, PRCI and GTI).
- Cathodic Protection, ESRI, GIS, PODS, New Century products, ICAM, and Trimble GPS.
- Demonstrated focus on personal, public and system safety.
- Exceptional technical and managerial skills including strong leadership, human relations skills, as well as a teamwork orientation and flexibility in a high performance culture.
- High energy level, strong presentation skills, and the ability to inspire confidence among those with whom he/she deals, including customers, peers, subordinates, etc.
- Makes good decisions based upon available data; anticipates problems. Uses judgment to make sound strategic and tactical choices – knows when to emphasize and balance the organization’s long-term strategic objectives; makes timely, tough decisions. Then executes.
- Excellent communication skills and the presence and innate ability to represent the company in a wide variety of forums.
- The capacity for strategic positioning and strategic thinking with strong operations management abilities.
- An entrepreneurial instinct balanced by mature understanding of financial concepts, principles and negotiations. Ability to analyze business reporting information and recommend improvements.
- Proven ability to supervise a diverse workforce across multiple states.
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license, and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers.
- NACE or other industry certifications preferred.
- May be required to work non-traditional hours as needed.
- May be required to carry a company – provided cell phone/pager and be available to respond during working hours; may be required to respond during non-working hours, especially related to company emergencies.
- Travel within geographic region (generally Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, South Dakota and Arkansas), and occasionally out of the geographic region, may be required and is anticipated, including overnight and/or weekend travel.
- This position performs tasks that are defined as safety-sensitive and is subject to DOT workplace drug & alcohol testing.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply