VA Black Hills Corp- Corporate Accountant (Rapid City, SD)Posted: April 4, 2017
Job Title: Corporate Accountant (30808)
SALARY GRADE: $49,500 – $64,380 annually
Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on March 25, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Perform regular and special projects for the operation, management and support of applicable companies including the classification and recording of accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and FERC (Federal Energy Regulated Commission). Prepare and/or review balance sheet reconciliations, accounting research, accounting analysis and other reports. Prepare and present information to a variety of internal and external stakeholders. Lead and manage staff as required. Manage competing priorities and deadlines effectively within a fast-paced environment.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Sr. Manager – Corporate Accounting
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Manage competing priorities in a fast paced environment.
- Prepare and distribute reports for a variety of departments in a timely manner. Ensure information is accurate and presented in a useful and understandable format.
- Prepare and/or review reconciliations of general ledger accounts. Follow up on discrepancies and implement procedures to ensure adequate resolution.
- Prepare and/or review financial statement analysis. Interpret and present results to internal and external stakeholders as needed.
- Prepare and analyze the calculation, documentation and maintenance of all overhead calculations.
- Assist with identifying and implementing process improvements to increase efficiency and effectiveness.
- Assist in the development, maintenance and enforcement of accounting policies and procedures for the corporate accounting team. Ensure systems and procedures are in compliance with company policies, acceptable accounting practices, and applicable regulations.
- Ensure controls are in place, documented and operating effectively to support strong internal controls over financial reporting in accordance with sound business practices and in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- As needed, lead and manage a team of corporate accounting staff which includes, but is not limited to: delegating, monitoring and reviewing work, coaching, and regular performance management.
- Assist internal and external auditors as needed.
- Comply with and ensure accounting policies and practices support GAAP, FERC, and sound business practices.
- Obtain a strong understanding of the general ledger accounting system as well as the financial reporting tools, and systems that interface with the general ledger.
- Maintain a current working knowledge of accounting rules and regulations and how those may impact operations, including GAAP, FERC, State Regulations, and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the company and to enhance the image of the Corporate Accounting Department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Interpreting accounting information for various levels of accounting individuals as well as non-accounting individuals.
- Maintain a current working knowledge of accounting rules and regulations and how those may impact financial statements.
- May review the work of the accounting staff for accuracy and timeliness.
- Work with the Accounting Manager in the development and training of other accounting department employees.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, all finance and accounting departments, financial managers, regulatory, and internal and external audit.
- 3 – 5 years of accounting/financial experience required.
- Public accounting experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience in utility or energy related industry a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting/finance or related program required.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP and FERC, including business and accounting methods and procedures.
- Solid understanding of, and experience in accounting required.
- Solid understanding of internal controls.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel to create and support complex spreadsheets and financial models.
- Proficiency in automated accounting systems.
- Working understanding of utility operations and a basic understanding of regulatory/ratemaking processes and methods preferred.
- Understanding of or willingness to learn and utilize Essbase.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities effectively within a fast-paced environment.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to delegate and coach individuals.
- Ability to apply strong attention to detail while understanding and considering the overall vision. Ability to make decisions with minimal supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate difficult accounting topics to various levels.
- Ability to communicate accounting transactions to financial and non-financial personnel.
- Ability to drive effective decisions through use of GAAP, FERC and other accounting research.
- Ability to perform accounting duties of an above average difficulty.
- Strong computer and analytical skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
- CPA, MBA or CMA strongly preferred.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply