Black Hills Corp- Property Accounting Technician (Rapid City, SD)Posted: April 4, 2017
Job Title: Property Accounting Technician (30802)
PAY RANGE: $15 – $20 per hour (Base salary is determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on March 25, 2017.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Directly support the Property Accounting Department by preforming efficient, timely, and accurate maintenance of the Continuing Property Records (CPR) which includes maintaining the CPR from beginning to end. Perform regular and special projects for the operation, management and support of applicable companies including the classification and recording of accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and FERC (Federal Energy Regulated Commission). Identify and implement ideas and strategies for process improvements to increase overall efficiencies. Prepare and present information to a variety of departments and internal and/or external audit. Maintain effective internal controls. Manage competing priorities and deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Fixed Asset Accounting Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Maintain all CPR in an orderly and accurate manner.
- Maintain all CPR in compliance with GAAP and FERC regulations.
- Prepare journal entries.
- Process month end close in the PowerPlan system as needed.
- Utilize strong internal controls and document fixed asset transactions per SOX controls.
- Maintain a strong working knowledge of FERC accounting as it applies to the property function.
- Respond to requests in a timely manner. Requests may come from external audit and other departments such as financial managers, project managers, regulatory/rate cases and internal audit.
- Ensure information provided is accurate and presented in a useful and understandable format.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures.
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the company and to enhance the image of the Property Accounting Department.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, all finance and accounting departments, financial managers, operations personnel, regulatory, and internal and external audit.
- One to two years of accounting or business experience required.
- Experience in utility or energy related industry a plus.
- PowerPlan experience preferred.
- PeopleSoft experience preferred.
- Associate’s Degree in Accounting or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A working knowledge of GAAP and FERC, including business accounting concepts and business procedures.
- A solid understanding of, and experience in accounting required.
- Solid understanding of internal controls.
- An understanding of automated accounting systems and how the accounting system interacts within the different modules.
- Solid understanding of MicroSoft Excel and ability to create formulas.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to manage competing deadlines and priorities effectively within a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to apply strong attention to detail while understanding and considering the overall vision.
- Ability to make decisions with minimal supervision.
- Ability to perform accounting transactions.
- Strong oral and written communication skills with the ability to communicate property accounting transactions to financial and non-financial personnel.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Strong computer skills including proficiency in Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply