Black Hills Corp- Meter Utility Technician (Lincoln, NE)Posted: February 1, 2017
Job Title: Meter Utility Technician (UN244) (30734)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on February 9, 2017.
LOCATION: Lincoln, NE
Responsible to read and maintain company gas meters, regulators, and automated meter reading equipment and other related equipment or property in a safe and efficient manner consistent with company policies and procedures. Perform all work in a safe manner outlined by the company.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Field Operations Supervisor
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Read gas meters using automated meter reading technology, complete required maintenance on gas meters and automated meter reading equipment and any other company equipment in a competent, timely and safe manner to ensure customer satisfaction and accurate billing.
- Perform other utility tasks as assigned, including but not limited to, meter exchanges, meter set installs and rebuilds, meter turn ons, meter turn-offs, and lighting appliances and chart changing to ensure efficient operation of the work group.
- Participate with supervisor to identify training needs and implement appropriate training programs.
- Train and direct meter utility technicians in the classroom and in the field as necessary to enable employees to perform all required tasks of the position in a safe and competent manner.
- Read vendor equipment documentation, attend job related seminars, training on new equipment and technology applications, and maintain and apply technical knowledge.
- Ensure record keeping associated with meter reading, utility work and vehicle maintenance is completed by the work group accurately and submitted timely for proper documentation.
- Investigates and assists in resolving complex meter reading and billing customer concerns.
- Participate in company regulated and non-regulated marketing programs.
- Must be capable of performing all aspects of the position.
- Perform all other tasks as requested or assigned to assure safe, reliable and accurate service for customers.
- Work closely with the office personnel and supervisor to resolve gas meter and automated meter reading equipment concerns.
- Advise and assist other employees as needed, in meter reading and utility related activities.
- Resolve customer complaints within the company policy to ensure customer satisfaction; maintains and promotes good customer relations through effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to maintain positive communications with external and internal customers.
- Previous utility meter reading/maintenance experienced preferred.
- Completed three phases of natural gas core training, including required OQ computer based training courses – or the ability to successfully complete within 1 year.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate degree preferred.
- Knowledge of company Operations and Maintenance Manual, Emergency Procedures and State and Federal Codes as they apply to the work.
- Follow, promote and contribute to company safety policies and support training procedures for safe work and driving habits to ensure employee and customer safety.
- Knowledge of the customer information system preferred.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills required.
- Must have positive customer relations orientation, including the ability to communicate effectively with customers and employees.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Must be able to work within a team environment and on individual projects.
- Computer skills required, including proficiency in applicable business related software and equipment.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Must be able to successfully pass DOT operator qualification certification tests required for covered tasks.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.
- Must be able to successfully demonstrate relevant competencies through assessment methods determined by the company, with reasonable inclusion of the Union.
- Must be able to operate computer equipment and applicable job related software applications.
- Must be able to work independently and handle stressful situations. This position requires good analytical abilities, good organizational, and communication skills.
You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Can meet the physical demands of standing, walking, sitting, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, climbing, balancing, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, tasting/smelling, near and far acuity, depth perception, color vision and field of vision.
- Carrying – Occasionally 35+ lbs. a distance of 50 ft. up to 100ft.; Occasionally side lifting of 30+ lbs. for 2 ft.; Rarely 35+ lbs. for 50 feet.
- Lifting tools, equipment floor to waist, overhead, and waist to shoulder.
- Prolonged loaded and unloaded forward flexion, extension, lateral flexion and rotation of the neck and spine are required.
- Reaching – Rarely above shoulder.
- Ability to navigate on uneven and slippery surfaces, for up to 440 yards.
- Must be adaptable to extreme temperatures outside.
- Ability to manipulate and grasp hand tools while in a repetitive motion.
- Ability to operate equipment.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
We are an EEO Employer
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply