Black Hills Corp- Distribution Planing Engineer I (Rapid City, SD)Posted: October 12, 2016
Job Title: Distribution Planning Engineer I (30597)
PAY RANGE: $53,900 – $67,350 (DOQ)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on November 1, 2016.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Perform engineering studies and analyses on the Black Hills Energy (BHE) electric distribution systems in South Dakota and Wyoming. Identify projects that are necessary to support load growth and improve reliability. Provide distribution engineering support for electric operations personnel.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Distribution Planning & Reliability
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Perform engineering studies for BHE’s electric distribution system. Evaluate system performance and recommend engineering solutions to address system risks, reliability and load growth over a five to ten year planning horizon.
- Maintain and utilize an electric distribution system model to complete coordination studies, fault current studies and load flow analyses. Maintain the distribution model accuracy by working with the GIS department and updating the model’s equipment database.
- Complete recloser and fuse coordination studies to support other technical and operations groups.
- Compile and analyze historical distribution load data and forecasts.
- Assist operations departments with capital and reliability project planning.
- Complete short and long range plans for inclusion in the strategic plan.
- Provide after hours support to other BHE departments during outages and emergencies.
- Assist and support the other engineering and maintenance activities within the department.
- Provide project management and administration activities for assigned work.
- Support safety, diversity, and social responsibility goals of the department, business unit and corporation.
- Contribute to the creation of department budgets and financial tracking activities.
- Attend relevant industry conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Perform work in a team environment and provide direct support to other utility operational groups.
- Establish professional relationships and work effectively with other departments, utilities, consultants and government agencies.
- Supervise technical and craft personnel in installation and maintenance activities.
- At least one year of electric engineering experience preferred.
- Electrical utility engineering or related power field experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering required.
- Power systems emphasis preferred.
- Working knowledge of utility electrical system design philosophy and equipment operation.
- Understanding of electrical circuits, drawings and engineering analysis.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain proficiency with new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Skills in leadership and participation in cross functional utility teams.
- Strong ability to document and track projects and work goals.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite – Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook.
- Requires limited travel within the utility service territory and for support of corporate subsidiaries.
- Perform work on or in close proximity to energized electrical facilities.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
EEO Employer, Race, Gender, Veterans, Disability
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply