Black Hills Corp- Paralegal I (Rapid City, SD)Posted: October 6, 2016
JOB NOTICE – Black Hills Corporation – Paralegal I (30594)
A wide variety of energy sources have made Black Hills Corporation (NYSE: BKH) and its subsidiaries stable and diversified providers of low-cost reliable energy solutions to customers throughout the United States. Discover your career potential in the following opportunity:
Job Title: Paralegal I (30594)
SALARY GRADE: $49,500 – $61,900
CLOSING DATE: October 10, 2016
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Performs contract administration support; legal research; law department database design, management and maintenance; provides corporate paralegal support, including corporate records management and maintenance; and may provide litigation support, including assistance of outside counsel in discovery matters.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Deputy General Counsel
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Formulate and implement contract administration practices and procedures.
- Support the preparation, drafting, review and negotiation of contracts and agreements, regulatory filings, working closely with internal business managers, internal lawyers and outside lawyers to determine need for and scope of potential contracts.
- Assist counsel in the use and development of company templates or form agreements, including standard service contracts for routine services; review counterparty proposed changes to standard forms and advise supervising attorney on deviations.
- Process Contracts; assist business managers and counsel to resolve contract issues and secure and review supporting documentation for completeness (e.g., certificates of insurance, certificates of good standing).
- Coordinate, track and communicate the initiation, status and completion of contracts to ensure timely satisfaction of legal requirements and business objectives.
- Draft appropriate contracts and amendments and work schedules for final review and approval of counsel.
- Work with counsel to create contract clause manual for boilerplate contract language.
- Performs legal research as requested by attorneys.
- Monitor contractor performance, including the reporting and status of contractor deliverables.
- Provide contract summaries and ensure contract execution in accordance with company policies.
- Provide annual training for internal business groups, regarding contract approval policies.
- Assist in due diligence activities relating to business transactions.
- Designs/develops and maintains structure for company documents, files, forms, etc., including legal files.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of company-specific procedures for the use of FileNet as the contract management system for documents and records; Supports corporate records retention and maintenance duties, including compliance with records retention schedules, compliance with electronic discovery obligations; serves as legal interface with other departments to ensure that corporate documents and records are indexed, archived and properly stored.
- Monitor CAPS process for continuous improvement and assist in securing requisite contract approvals.
- Work with counsel and business leaders to ensure that contractors comply with legal documents, owner specifications and government regulations.
- May provide litigation support, involving such activities as developing and maintaining files and reports; routing complaints to appropriate insurers/outside counsel; drafting/coordinating responses to interrogatories, requests for admission/search/produce documents, fact investigations and discovery responses, interviews, document reviews/gathering/ productions/indexing.
- Work with the BHC Risk Department and legal counsel to analyze insurance requirements and mitigate risk.
- Assist business managers in responding to internal and external audits of contract database and contracting procedures, including the maintenance of an audit file for contracts that will include the original contract, changes/deviations, amendments, clarifications, schedules.
- Work with internal lawyers, other legal staff and business leaders to support delivery of other legal services, as needed.
- Five years of corporate or law office paralegal experience required; completion of paralegal courses (litigation, securities, corporate transactions, etc.).
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in Paralegal Studies.
- Legal Department/office work environment, including confidentiality requirements.
- Standard legal proceedings and related written documentation.
- Legal research techniques.
- Advanced office administration practices and concepts.
- Automation applications and computer databases.
- Written business communication and report writing techniques.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in written form, with all levels of the organization; clients, witnesses, internal and external legal counsel, customers; vendors and contractors; and local, state, regional and federal agencies.
- Obtain, compile, organize and analyze complex transaction documentation.
- Coordinate a variety of tasks and assignments simultaneously.
- Maintain confidential information.
- Use independent and discretionary judgment.
- Paralegal Certificate Required.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
EEO Employer, Race, Gender, Veterans, Disability
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply