Black Hills Corp- Corrosion/Leak Technician B (Lincoln, NE)Posted: July 12, 2016
Job Title: Corrosion/Leak Technician B (UN244) (30516)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on July 24, 2016.
LOCATION: Lincoln, NE
Operate leak detection equipment for leak surveys and odor investigating. Test, troubleshoot, recommend and perform remedial action on cathodic protection systems to ensure the integrity of the metallic distribution system. Perform all work in a safe and efficient manner.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Field Operations Supervisor
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Operate leak detection equipment utilized to conduct gas leak surveys and observes the physical conditions of the surroundings to detect and locate leaks in the gas distribution system.
- Attach anodes and test point wires to metallic pipes by thermite welding process; including the use of hand tools to work through auger holes and the use of pipe locators to locate underground facilities.
- Perform testing of defective cathodic protection systems to determine the cause of the problem and recommend or perform corrective work as needed including appropriate documentation with specified repair instructions.
- Perform electrical readings and surveys of the cathodic protection system installed on the gas distribution system to ensure timely, accurate completion of all annual requirements.
- Assist in preparation of drawings, job specifications and documents for construction planning.
- Perform other related tasks as apparent or assigned, to ensure the efficient operation of the work unit.
- Participate in regulated and non-regulated company marketing programs.
- Will perform any or all of the above tasks as qualified by training and experience.
- Participates in training held internally and externally both through hands-on (OJT) field and classroom situations. Increasing job knowledge and competency.
- Basic math skills (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions, decimals, etc.).
- Proficient with computer skills (MS office, operation systems, company software, and technical systems).
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Associates degree in electrical applications, electronics, or corrosion technology preferred.
- Must successfully demonstrate relevant competencies through assessment methods as determined by the company with reasonable inclusion of the union.
- Follow company safety policy and training procedures by utilizing safe work and driving habits to ensure customer and employee safety.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with Company Operations Procedures, Emergency Procedures, and State and Federal Codes as they apply to the work.
- Must be qualified to perform job tasks as defined by the Department of Transportation and company procedures.
- Must demonstrate by written and practical test, a post-high school knowledge of alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC) electrical theory and mechanical aptitude.
- Must be able to read and accurately interpret detailed colored maps and records.
- Must have positive customer relations orientation including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively in person, by telephone, and in writing.
- Must have skills to work independently, troubleshooting and analytical thinking, mathematics, mechanical capable along with physical and reading and comprehension skills.
- Must be able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Must have a valid Nebraska driver’s license and a safe driving record.
- Completion of any site specific technical training may be applicable.
- Achieve and maintain all qualifications, certifications, and progression requirements applicable to the job classification.
- Must travel extensively including overnight, week-long stays in various designated locations.
- Employees assigned to this job will be expected to establish residence in the designated location no later than 90 days after accepting the job.
- NACE membership required after 12 months in position.
You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Can meet the physical demands of standing, walking, sitting, lifting, carrying, pushing, pulling, climbing, balancing, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, handling, feeling, talking, hearing, tasting/smelling, near and far acuity, depth perception, color vision and field of vision.
- Ability to navigate all terrains in all types of weather for up to 5 miles while carrying 15lbs.
- Lifting tools, equipment and appliances floor to waist, overhead, horizontal and waist to shoulder.
- Prolonged loaded and unloaded forward flexion, extension, lateral flexion and rotation of the neck and spine are required.
- Reaching –Above or below shoulder height.
- Must be adaptable to extreme temperatures outside.
- Ability to manipulate and grasp hand tools while in a repetitive motion.
- Ability to operate equipment.
- Ability to be fitted for a use of respirator.
- Capable of entering and retrieving data from a computer.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
EEO Employer, Race, Gender, Veterans, Disability
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment. How to apply: Click here to apply