Black Hills Corp- Energy Management Specialist I (Rapid City, SD)Posted: July 1, 2016
Job Title: Energy Management Specialist I (30502)
PAY RANGE: $57,500 – $86,250 (DOQ)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on July 15, 2016.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Ensure that all projected electric customer load demand is met, around-the-clock, in the most economic and efficient manner while adhering to operating system constraints and industry or regulatory guidelines.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Supervisor, Real Time Energy Management
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Purchase and/or reassign required transmission rights for each transmission segment of each transaction. This requires knowledge of transmission contracts, ownership of transmission systems, NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation) registered POR/POD, sources, sinks, and transmission products.
- Resolve interchange scheduling and pricing disputes with utility and power marketing entity counterparts.
- Conduct trades via contacts with producers, traders and power delivery organizations in compliance with the organization’s energy marketing policies and procedures.
- Analyze and react to market conditions.
- Ensure that all actions are in full compliance with applicable NERC operating standards, other regional and regulatory standards, and the Company’s risk policy.
- Operate the real-time bulk power system by directing the output of generating units to maintain system control performance within established criteria at the lowest possible cost.
- Assist in analyzing resources, load obligations, generation dispatch and market opportunities to maximize margins for real-time transactions.
- Manage load forecasts, actual load and available resources to balance Company’s load position and to ensure reliable electric service for Company’s native load customers for three load control areas.
- Provide operational support for energy transactions initiated and negotiated in the energy marketing and trading group.
- Verify the creation and processing of complete and accurate hourly data necessary to verify and account for all consummated transactions.
- Respond to generation disturbances and outages to mitigate plant contingencies and ensure integrity of firm contract obligations.
- Implement real-time actions, up to and including coordination of shedding firm load, to ensure stable and reliable operation of the Bulk Electric System.
- Administer all electric utilities wholesale power contracts.
- Provide assistance to other energy management employees as needed.
- Advise and assist less experienced energy management employees in the successful completion of real time duties and their development and understanding of all facets of the Company’s position management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain effective working relationships with all energy management employees.
- Establish and maintain positive business relationships with counterparts at regional or national utilities and marketer organizations, including Joint Ownership Unit participants.
- Develop business relationships that optimize the Company’s presence in the energy markets.
- One or more years of relevant experience required.
- Energy economic analysis, interchange scheduling or energy trading experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Finance, Mathematics, Business or related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- General understanding of the competitive wholesale electricity marketplace, including the effects from market dynamics such as delivery limitations, regional supply/demand, daily/seasonal diversities, reliability aspects, fuel considerations, etc.
- Basic knowledge of the interconnected bulk power generation and transmission network and the operational aspects of that network.
- Knowledge of electric utility operations, generation dispatch, energy marketing, and transmission system operations.
- Basic understanding of transaction scheduling and tagging requirements.
- Knowledge of OASIS (Open Access Same Time Information System) sites and their functions for the purchase and scheduling of transmission rights.
- Basic knowledge of electric power system load and resource management and marketing techniques.
- Knowledge of physical real-time, day ahead or monthly physical electrical energy trading.
- Business knowledge of contract management.
- Budgeting, planning and financial reporting knowledge.
- Working knowledge of financial, business and managerial accounting.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to articulate, communicate, influence, and negotiate.
- Ability to perform under considerable stress induced by a highly competitive environment, impending deadlines, emergency situations and a rotating work schedule.
- Analytical skills to properly assess complex technical and economic variables and the capability to make fast and accurate decisions based on the conclusions reached.
- Proficiency in computer applications including Word, Excel and various specialized software/programs.
- Demonstrated ability to interact positively with others in a team environment.
- Strong planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to complete an energy sale, including making necessary transmission reservations and creating a successful energy tag.
- Ability to perform market survey to identify potential buyers/sellers and market pricing.
- Ability to make quick decisions, negotiate price and quantity of energy products, and analyze complex problems in a high stress environment.
- Valid NERC System Operator Certification preferred.
- Ability to work rotating twelve-hour shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
EEO Employer, Race, Gender, Veterans, Disability
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment. How to apply: Click here to apply