Black Hills Corp- Director, Electric Operations (Pueblo, CO)Posted: May 24, 2016
Job Title: Director, Electric Operations (30460)
PAY RANGE: $101,100 – $166,750 (DOQ)
LOCATION: Pueblo, CO
The Director of Electric Operations (EO) will serve as a key member of the operational leadership team of a southern Colorado electric service provider and provide strategic and operational leadership over the electric operations function. The Director of EO will lead the development of precise objectives and metrics for the relevant business, financial, and operating strategies. Additionally, the Director of EO will provide key support for economic development and management of related community issues and outreach. This is an opportunity for the exceptional strategic and operational leader to make significant contributions to a growing organization that aspires to higher levels of excellence.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Vice President, Colorado Electric Operations
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Lead development and execution of effective strategic plans, operational plans and budgets for electric operations within a matrix organizational structure. Proactively synthesize information from multiple sources to generate insights and recommendations on business strategies and opportunities for the business while effectively communicating findings, insights and recommendations on a timely basis.
- Lead, develop and cultivate a process-driven and outcomes-focused organization utilizing cross-functional teams capable of professionally, courteously and expeditiously resolving all customer issues.
- Establish credibility through strong business acumen, strategic thinking, commercial focus and customer service excellence. Using strong business acumen, domain expertise, strategic thinking and data, prioritize investment of financial and human resources to yield optimal business results in collaboration with key stakeholders.
- Understand and employ industry benchmarks for operations and develop strategies to meet and exceed target performance levels.
- Develop financial models to assess viability of relevant continuous improvement projects as a basis for go-no operational decisions. Drive operational performance through use of strong analytical skills enabling financial modeling, business analysis and progress tracking.
- Quickly grow into role of designated “energy expert” within the local business unit.
- Drive process improvements delivering constantly improving services in alignment with business goals and objectives.
- Strategize, develop and negotiate electric service extension contracts and technical services contracts.
- Establish successful partnerships with the Management Team, with employees and other networks functions to assure cooperation and synergies to meet business goals and customer service standards and expectations.
- Understand and complying with DOT and Colorado PUC rules and regulations.
- Effectively represent operations in discussions with other internal and external business partners and prospects.
- Exude a passion for customer service.
- Must exhibit an uncompromising sense of integrity in dealings with all customers—internal and external.
- Treat all persons with human dignity and respect.
- Serves as a safety leader within the organization—exhibit safe work practices and lead by example at all times.
- Build, develop and manage electric operations team. Develop strategy to include level of service, internal/external sourcing.
- Attract, develop and engage people to participate as members of high performance teams.
- Establish and maintain a work environment that delivers consistently high levels of employee engagement and retention.
- Ensure an appropriately diverse workforce reflective of our customer base.
- Provide opportunity for growth and development of staff and employees to maximize performance and potential of all individuals.
- Act as a thought leader and advisor to senior management and executives on key strategic issues.
- Coach and mentor junior members of the EO team, developing their skills and toolset so that they can contribute at a high level in a lean, fast-moving team
- Facilitate growth of electric load through establishment and maintenance of outstanding customer service levels to all customer classes
- Develop and maintain situational analyses for the Company’s current and potential businesses, markets and customers to support ongoing strategic planning and execution.
- Expertly utilize the prevailing collective bargaining agreement in the effective management of represented employees as necessary.
- Support rate case preparations and provide testimony as needed.
- Ability to work comfortably and confidently with highly-skilled leadership teams (both within the local business unit as well as within the parent corporation)
- Position the company within its communities to influence opinions and actions and to ensure a favorable operating environment with positive relationships.
- Excellence at handling multiple assignments and completion of projects within schedule and budgetary guidelines.
- Effectively convey and advocate for desired outcomes utilizing outstanding verbal and written communication, presentation, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Industrial, commercial and residential customers
- Customer Service Center Staff and employees
- Utility Operations
- Field Resource Center Team
- Customer Account Services
- Customer Services Support
- Regulatory agencies
- External Affairs
- Governmental/Regulatory Affairs
- Human Resources
- Continuous Improvement Team
- Information Technology
- Utility Engineering
- Minimum of ten years of experience in management of employee groups in a cross-functional, matrix environment.
- Prior labor relations experience required including having experience with collective bargaining agreements and their application in the workplace.
- Prior electric utility operations experience is required.
- Experience bringing about – or supporting efforts to bring about — broad organizational change and the ability to focus and energize an organization toward unprecedented levels of performance.
- Experience with development of operational performance dashboards is a plus.
- Must possess substantial professional experience in building effective working relationships and creating a welcoming and rewarding team environment that promotes diversity.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, business, or related field of study.
- Master’s degree in business or engineering is strongly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of delivering high levels of customer service.
- Knowledge of end-to-end service delivery processes and capabilities.
- Knowledge of rules and tariffs filed with Public Service Commissions.
- Understanding of labor and employment laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of COE rate structures, program offerings, line extension policies, economic development programs, customer incentives, demand-side management and renewable energy program offerings and requirements.
- Proven leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Proven success in the development of subordinates.
- Demonstrated ability to take the initiative and accept responsibility for action items.
- Demonstrated ability to make timely and appropriate decisions within the level of position expectations.
- Demonstrated ability to act as company representative, accountable for the resolution of non-generation labor issues.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, monitor and accomplish strategic goals.
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct workload and prioritize business needs.
- Possess strong oral and written communication skills. Ability to articulate, communicate and influence.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple major projects simultaneously.
- Demonstrate the ability to represent the Company in front of various stakeholder, employee groups, major customers and regulatory agencies.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
EEO Employer, Race, Gender, Veterans, Disability
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment. How to apply: Click here to apply