Black Hills Corp- Supervisor, Energy Management (Rapid City, SD)Posted: May 6, 2016
Job Title: Supervisor, Energy Management (30440)
PAY RANGE: $83,450 – $137,650 (DOQ)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on May 19, 2016.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Supervise the hourly functions of the generation dispatch and power marketing (energy management) front office. Establish vehicles, structures, and processes for the open exchange of information. Emphasize real time operations personnel’s development in the department’s strategic planning and performance management practices. Oversee that all projected electric customer load demand is met, around-the-clock, in the most economic and efficient manner while adhering to operating system constraints and industry or regulatory guidelines.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Generation Dispatch and Power Marketing
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Coordinate with energy management personnel to operate the real-time bulk power system by directing the output of generating units to maintain system control performance within established criteria at the lowest possible cost.
- Execute power trades that optimize profits and level of risk exposure and monetize the value of the inherent optionality in the trading contracts.
- Monitor competitive conditions and variables that influence pricing, availability and reliability of power sources.
- Provide operational support for energy transactions initiated and negotiated in the energy marketing and trading group.
- Track relevant data on the appropriate systems.
- Administer interchange contractual obligations, and evaluate the pricing of off-system sales and purchases.
- Respond to generation disturbances within established regulatory, industry, reserve sharing groups, and Company standards to assure a continuous supply of electricity to customers.
- Respond to generation outages by urgently procuring alternative economic resources that mitigate plant contingencies and ensure integrity of firm contract obligations.
- Implement real-time actions, up to and including coordination of shedding firm load, to insure stable and reliable operation of the bulk electric system.
- Manage load forecasts, actual load and available resources to balance Company’s load position and to ensure reliable electric service for Company’s native load customers for three load control areas.
- Negotiate product, price, quantity, terms, etc., under available agreements to buy/sell wholesale power with regional, national utilities, and other power marketing entities.
- Ensure that the Company’s power supply costs and assets are optimized to maximize marketing margins within established risk and reliability standards.
- Support the energy management team by developing leads to expand market opportunities.
- Manage the real-time operations of Company’s generation portfolio, including dispatching generation based upon economic conditions and operational constraints.
- Manage dispatching and trading decisions with a continuous focus on balancing risk versus return to produce maximum profitability.
- Resolve interchange scheduling and pricing creation, processing and disputes with utility and power marketing entity counterparts.
- Actively participate in the company’s employee development program and department meetings.
- Develop annual performance plans and reviews consistent with the corporate strategic plan.
- Provide input for updating and maintaining the front office departmental administrative guidelines.
- Ensure that staff participates in all corporate required training and policy reviews.
- Supervise scheduling of gas fuel for combustion turbines as necessary and manage usage to minimize pipeline imbalance.
- Supervise communication of directive orders with balancing authorities and transmission providers, and build relationships with those entities to improve access to information, to facilitate negotiation and to educate all stakeholders in each other’s needs and concerns.
- Supervise documentation activities using electronic logging systems and communicate issues and potential problems to management.
- Provide technical input for hardware/software purchasing decisions.
- Ensure that appropriate backup is available to support the forward marketer, energy management specialists and interchange scheduling specialists.
- Ensure that all actions are in full compliance with applicable NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation) reliability standards, regulatory requirements and the Company’s risk policy.
- Provide assistance and support to other energy management personnel as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain effective working relationships with all energy management employees.
- Establish and maintain positive business relationships with counterparts at regional or national utilities and marketer organizations, including Joint Ownership Unit participants.
- Develop business relationships that optimize the Company’s presence in the energy markets.
- 5-7 years of generation dispatch, energy trading or interchange scheduling experience required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Finance, Mathematics, Business or related field preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- General understanding of the competitive wholesale electricity marketplace, including the effects from market dynamics such as delivery limitations, regional supply/demand, daily/seasonal diversities, reliability aspects, fuel considerations, etc.
- Knowledge of the interconnected bulk power generation and transmission network and the operational aspects of that network.
- Knowledge of electric utility operations, generation dispatch, energy marketing, and transmission system operations.
- Knowledge of SCADA (OSI/EMS) systems, including AGC operations.
- Strong understanding of transaction scheduling and tagging requirements.
- Knowledge of OASIS (Open Access Same Time Information System) sites and their functions for the purchase and scheduling of transmission rights.
- Business knowledge of contract management.
- Budgeting, planning and financial reporting knowledge.
- Working knowledge of financial, business and managerial accounting.
- Knowledge of physical real-time, day ahead or monthly physical electrical energy trading.
- Knowledge of marketing in order to balance loads to resources.
- Detailed knowledge of electric power system load and resource management and marketing techniques.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to articulate, communicate, influence, and negotiate.
- Ability to perform under considerable stress induced by a highly competitive environment, impending deadlines, emergency situations and a rotating work schedule.
- Analytical skills to properly assess complex technical and economic variables and the capability to make fast and accurate decisions based on the conclusions reached.
- Proficiency in computer applications including Word, Excel and various specialized software/programs.
- Demonstrated ability to interact positively with others in a team environment.
- Strong planning, organizational and analytical skills.
- Ability to complete an energy sale, including making necessary transmission reservations and creating a successful energy tag.
- Ability to perform market survey to identify potential buyers/sellers and market pricing.
- Ability to make quick decisions, negotiate price and quantity of energy products, and analyze complex problems in a high stress environment.
- Valid NERC Certification preferred.
- Candidates must be able to work fill-in for rotating twelve-hour shifts including nights, weekends, and holidays when necessary.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
EEO Employer, Race, Gender, Veterans, Disability
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment. How to apply: Click here to apply