Black Hills Corp- Electric Systems Operations Engineer (Rapid City, SD)Posted: April 6, 2016
Job Title: Electric Systems Operations Engineer (30370)
PAY RANGE: The successful candidate may be hired at a level I, II or Senior, depending upon experience ($52,850 – $110,300).
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on April 26, 2016.
LOCATION: Rapid City, SD
Performs engineering studies and develops electronic tools and procedures that assure the reliable operation of Black Hills Corporation’s electric transmission systems.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Operational Support
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Develops and maintains Energy Management Systems (EMS) applications and associated displays associated with transmission construction or maintenance. Applications include Automatic Generation Control, Contingency Analysis, State Estimator, Operator Training Simulator and PSSE.
- Develops procedures, processes, and applications necessary to provide safe and reliable operations systems that meet reliability regulatory standards.
- Develops and maintains data required for EMS power system applications.
- Develops computer programs and customized programming scripts necessary for special applications.
- Analyzes and performs electrical studies for planned and emergency switching operations of the electric transmission system.
- Analyzes, plans, and implements software for new products and upgrades.
- Develops short- and long-term plans for routine and special applications for system improvements.
- Provides project management for new products and upgrade projects.
- Maintains necessary documentation on the EMS and associated systems.
- Provides appropriate training for application end users.
- Documents all necessary components of system processes, regulatory compliance efforts, and hardware/software.
- Implements and maintains integration between applications.
- Assists with budget preparation.
- Serves as knowledge resource for System Operators.
- Provides “real-time” support for System Operators and Generation Dispatch and Power Marketing personnel.
- Performs other assignments as required.
- Maintains effective working relationships with SCADA support staff, Reliability Center Manager, System Operators, Operational Support Manager, Generation Dispatch and Power Marketing staff, Transmission Planning and IT/Security staff.
- At least one year of electric utility operations or electrical operations engineering experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering required.
- Power systems emphasis preferred.
- Familiarity with electric utility operations.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications.
- Ability to maintain proficiency with new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills with demonstrated strengths in tact and diplomacy.
- Available to provide off-hours support.
You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to physically respond to the Reliability Center within 30 minutes of contact when needed for emergency assistance.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
EEO Employer, Race, Gender, Veterans, Disability
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment. How to apply: Click here to apply