Black Hills Corp- Accounting Analyst II or Senior (Papillion, NE)Posted: February 17, 2016
Job Title: Accounting Analyst II or Senior (30346)
PAY RANGE: $48,550 – $86,200 (DOQ)
LOCATION: Papillion, NE
Responsible for accounting functions related to natural gas accounting, including accurate payments to suppliers and pipelines, appropriate allocation of natural gas costs, purchased gas adjustments, natural gas costs for electric generation units, and gas inventory. Responsible for performing routine and special projects for the operation and support of gas margin accounting, gas supply operations and regulatory including the classification and recording of accounting transactions, accounting analyses, preparation of reports, and interpretation of accounting results.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager – Gas Margin Accounting
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete gas accounting within BHC providing monthly and quarterly financial reporting and appropriate variance analysis including but not limited to:
- Accounting for gas costs for gas utilities and electric generation units.
- Accounting for gas inventory and gas imbalances.
- Verification and approval of payments to gas suppliers and pipelines, and settlement of financial derivatives for natural gas.
- Timely and accurate confirmations.
- Monthly reconciliations of gas margin accounts, including appropriate and timely follow up on discrepancies.
- Prepare, coordinate or oversee the accurate and timely preparation of and/or review of journal entries; ensure accurate and timely upload and posting of journal entries to the PeopleSoft system.
- Complete and review accounting analyses of gas margin accounts. Interpret and communicate results to applicable individuals.
- Partner with teams in finance and accounting and gas supply to provide timely support and ensure open and effective communication.
- Develop familiarity and expertise associated with gas operations, regulatory requirements and appropriate gas accounting principles.
- Ensure accurate and timely completion of monthly and quarterly reporting forms for Financial Reporting and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Comply with and ensure accounting policies and practices are appropriately documented and support compliance with GAAP, FERC, and sound business practices.
- Ensure appropriate controls are in place, documented and operating effectively to support strong Internal Controls over Financial Reporting in accordance with sound business practices and in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Assist internal and external auditors with engagements involving natural gas margin accounts.
- Obtain a strong understanding of the automated accounting systems for BHC natural gas activities including Endur, PeopleSoft, CIS+, and Flexibill.
- Perform assigned duties in a professional manner to facilitate the objectives and goals of the company and to enhance the image of the margin accounting function while working toward continuous improvement of processes.
- Identify areas for increasing efficiency and effectiveness and implement changes while maintaining accurate financial information.
- Maintain a current working knowledge of accounting rules and regulations and how those may impact operations, including GAAP, FERC, State Regulations, and Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Identify areas for increasing efficiency and effectiveness and implement and document those changes while maintaining accurate financial information.
- Trade confirmation.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, all finance and accounting departments, financial managers, regulatory, and internal and external audit.
- Two to five years of accounting/financial experience required.
- Public accounting experience highly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
- A thorough knowledge of GAAP, including business and accounting methods and procedures.
- Solid understanding of, and experience in accounting required.
- A solid understanding of internal controls.
- A working understanding of utility operations and a basic understanding of regulatory/ratemaking processes and methods preferred.
- Essbase knowledge and experience preferred.
- Advanced proficiency in Excel to create and support complex spreadsheets and financial models.
- Proficiency in automated accounting systems.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize delegate and complete multiple projects in a timely manner.
- Ability to apply strong attention to detail while understanding and considering the big picture.
- Ability to manage effectively in a fast paced environment with multiple priorities.
- Ability to perform accounting duties of an above average difficulty.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality of business information.
- CPA, MPA, MBA or CMA preferred.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
EEO Employer, Race, Gender, Veterans, Disability
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment. How to apply: Click here to apply