South Dakota State University- Extension Associate (Rapid City, SD)Posted: December 31, 2015
Plant Science Department
South Dakota State University
The SDSU Plant Science Department is offering an exciting career opportunity as an Extension Associate in Horticulture at our SDSU Extension Regional Center in Rapid City, South Dakota. We are looking for a creative and innovative professional to join our Healthy Communities Team in gardening and nutrition projects in Rapid City and seven South Dakota Reservations and other target communities. This is a grant-funded, full-time position. This position is supervised by Shawn Burke, SDSU Extension Native American Programs.
The incumbent will help plan and implement gardening education programs for home gardeners and new commercial growers in target communities in our Health Food, Families and Communities initiative. Periodic travel to reservation communities in western South Dakota will be required with occasional evening and weekend programs as well. A state car is provided.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture, Education, Business, Human Services or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in horticulture including but not limited to: home gardening; commercial greenhouse; and market horticultural enterprises in the temperate zone.
- Experience in teaching and/or training diverse groups.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Effective computer skills, including basic word processing, e-mail, and basic spreadsheets.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work as a contributing team member.
- Valid driver’s license or ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire.
- Experience with commercial vegetable production and other production systems.
- Experience working on a Native American Reservation.
- Demonstrated experience developing programs and training new and intermediate growers.
- Experience operating a horticultural business.
Commensurate with qualifications.
The university’s main campus is located in Brookings (population 22,056), the state’s fourth-largest city. Brookings, located on Interstate 29 near the Minnesota border, is the home to a broad economic base that includes national and international manufacturers.
This position is located in Rapid City, South Dakota. Nestled in the foothills of the scenic Black Hills mountain range, Rapid City is the state’s second largest city, with a population of 68,000. The city has outstanding K-12 schools, major medical facilities, parks, cultural, outdoor and tourist amenities. Rapid City is located on the western border of South Dakota, along Interstate 90. This position is located in Rapid City, SD at our SDSU Extension Regional Center.
Position is open until filled with full consideration given to applications received by January 11, 2016.
SDSU accepts applications through an on-line employment site. To apply, visit: https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu, search by the position title, view the job announcement, and click on “apply for this posting.” The system will guide you through the electronic application form. The employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement; resume; and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 or HR@sdstate.edu if you require assistance with this process.
SDSU actively seeks to increase social and intellectual diversity among its faculty and staff. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, a criminal background check.
For questions on the position, contact Jason Schoch at (605) 394-2236 or Jason.Schoch@sdstate.edu.