City of Rapid City- Utility Repair Person I, II, III (Rapid City, SD)Posted: October 8, 2015
Job Title: Utility Repair Person I, II, III
Department: Public Works
Grade: 9, 10, 11
Perform skilled specialized work in maintenance, repair, and inspection of the water distribution and wastewater collection systems.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following; other duties may be assigned:
Utility Repair Person I:
1. Performs various tasks in the installation, repair, and maintenance of water mains, sanitary sewer, hydrants, manholes, and other services, including excavation and backfilling, cutting, fitting, sealing, laying, and tapping new and repaired pipe.
2. Operating and repairing valves and other system hardware, flushing and inspection existing services. Maintains sanitary sewer by jetting, and root cutting to ensure proper flow in pipes and prevent pipe restrictions and obstructions.
3. Operates a variety of tools and equipment, including hydraulic pumps and centrifugal water pumps, pipe locators, tapping devices, jackhammers, chainsaws, air compressors, trucks, backhoes, front-end loaders, flatbed trailers, ditching machinery, etc.
4. Assists in television inspection, smoke and dye testing, sewer flow monitoring, and other inspection and monitor tasks to eliminate extraneous flows and identify breaks, problems, and cross connections sanitary sewer system.
5. Performs manual labor, including hand shoveling, loading and unloading pipes, fittings, and other utilities equipment and materials from utilities vehicles, lifting, carrying and moving materials and equipment at the work sites, cleaning work areas, etc.
6. Maintains sewer lift stations by preventative maintenance as needed and corrective maintenance as needed. Includes troubleshooting pumps and controls, replacing seals, sensors, transducers and other pump components as needed.
7. Turns customer services on or off tap water and sewer mains.
8. Investigates complaints of leaks and low pressure and make repairs to mains and poly-b service lines.
9. Assists in repairs and maintenance of equipment.
10. Performs minor repair on trucks and other equipment.
11. Responds to complaints regarding sewer backups, sewer gas concerns, lift station alarms, and other public complaints.
12. Must be willing to work variable hours on an on-call basis.
13. Maintains proper logs and records on work activities
Utility Repair Person II:
1. Operates skid loader in repair of Water and Wastewater systems.
2. Operates TV equipment for the inspection of Wastewater Collection System using Pipeline Assessment and Certification Program.
3. May operate backhoe and other related equipment, such as pavement breaker, to repair Water and Wastewater Systems.
4. Adjusts and repairs manhole frames and covers, valve boxes, and fire hydrants.
5. Conducts new construction field inspections of water and sewer service lines and mains.
6. Utilizes the Sewer Lift Station SCADA system to troubleshoot and monitor lift station performance.
Utility Repair Person III:
1. Installs and repairs valves and other system hardware, flushing and inspection existing services.
2. Flushes and de-chlorinates water mains.
3. Repairs and replaces fire hydrants, water lines, and sanitary sewer lines.
4. Inspects and maintains sanitary sewer by jetting and root cutting to ensure proper flow in pipes and prevent pip restrictions and obstructions.
5. Conducts testing for Odor monitoring and control and Sanitary Sewer Overflow events.
6. Directs crew activities in emergency situations; i.e. water main breaks, sewer backups, etc.
7. May act as lead person in absence of supervisor.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience: Utility Repair Person I: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and one to three months
For more information or to apply for this position, please click on the following link: