Black Hills Corp- Electrical Engineer II (Pueblo, CO)Posted: August 27, 2015
Job Title: Electrical Engineer II (30138)
PAY RANGE: $62,650 – $93,950 (DOQ)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on September 14, 2015.
LOCATION: Pueblo, CO
Support all of Black Hills Corporation’s electric utilities through the design of substation systems and relay settings used in the control and operation of utility transmission and distribution facilities. Analyze the performance of protective relay operations to ensure reliability and proper coordination of the overall electric system. Create equipment specifications and standards for substation protection, automation, and communications equipment and oversee the operation of these systems.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Engineering Manager
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Engineer protection system settings and systems.
- Program and design System Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Remote Terminal Unit (RTU) equipment.
- Install and maintain communications (fiber optic, radio, serial) systems utilized in utility protection and control systems.
- Create detailed control schematics, wiring diagrams, and protection logic drawings.
- Investigate and analyze transmission system disturbances and relay operations to determine root cause and recommend system improvements.
- Develop and coordinate relay settings database, test standards, and maintenance procedures.
- Ensure compliance with reliability policies and standards.
- Direct maintenance personnel in the installation, verification, and upgrade of substation protection, communication and control equipment.
- Provide direction, training, scheduling, and performance review for a team of utility technical personnel.
- Support system operations group during outages and emergencies with analysis of digital fault data and relay sequence of operations review.
- Assist and support the other engineering and maintenance activities within the department.
- Provide project management and administration activities for assigned work.
- Support safety, diversity, and social responsibility goals of the department, business unit, and corporation.
- Contribute to the creation of department budgets and financial tracking activities.
- Perform work in a team environment and provide direct support to other utility operational groups.
- Establish professional relationships and work effectively with other departments, utilities, consultants, and government agencies.
- Supervise technical and craft personnel in installation and maintenance activities.
- Three or more years of experience in the design and implementation of electric utility protection systems, substation design, or communications systems required.
- Electrical utility engineering or related power field experience preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering required.
- Power Systems emphasis or utility experience preferred.
- Understanding of protective relay principals and their applications to three phase power systems.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to interact in a team environment.
- Ability to maintain proficiency with new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Skills in leadership and participation in cross functional utility teams.
- Strong ability to document and track projects and work goals.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite – Excel, Word, Power Point and Outlook.
- Professional Engineer (PE) registration or the ability to become registered is preferred.
- Requires travel within the utility service territory and for support of corporate subsidiaries.
- Perform work on or in close proximity to energized electrical facilities.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
EEO Employer, Race, Gender, Veterans, Disability
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply