Black Hills Corp- Vegetation Management Specialist (Pueblo, CO)Posted: August 25, 2015
Job Title: Vegetation Management Specialist (30130)
PAY RANGE: $48,550 – $72,850 (DOQ)
CLOSING DATE: This position will close on September 6, 2015.
LOCATION: Pueblo, CO
Create, oversee, and complete patrols and vegetation management work plans necessary to ensure the reliability and safety of Black Hills Corporation’s Colorado Electric transmission and distribution systems. Participate in and oversee the implementation of the Company’s vegetation program at the local operating company through the use of integrated vegetation management (IVM) principals. Identify work that needs to be completed, coordinate the work of contractors to complete the necessary work, contact landowners to arrange the work, and inspect and audit completed work. Document and maintain records of work completed and for completing work with a high degree of attention to safety and quality as well as schedule and budget performance.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Vegetation Management Supervisor
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with management from relevant utility operating company and immediate supervisor to develop and manage long-range plans for vegetation management.
- Provide direct oversight, monitor performance, and implement control measures of external vegetation contractor(s).
- Schedule work of external contractors while balancing priorities of safety, timeliness, and critical nature of some tasks.
- Respond to internal and external customer requests to ensure proper clearances required in BHC standards are achieved within relevant utility operating company service territory.
- Assist with developing and managing budget for relevant utility vegetation management program.
- Develop and maintain strong professional relationships with county, city, state, and federal organizations as well as landowners impacted by vegetation management work.
- Ensure compliance with federal standards.
- Inspect contract work to ensure compliance with BHC specifications.
- Coordinate and conduct aerial patrols flights within the service territory.
- Support System Operations during after hour outage restoration and emergencies.
- Investigate vegetation-related outages and develop plans to minimize outages.
- Identify opportunities to improve vegetation management practices.
- Identify opportunities to reduce cost of vegetation management work while maintaining a high degree of quality and productivity.
- Provide monthly reports to management.
- Maintain positive working relationships with all Company employees, customers and external contractors.
- 3 years of experience in utility vegetation management, forestry, and/or federal forestry services required.
- 3 years of experience supervising project work crews preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate’s degree in forestry, vegetation management or related field required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Working knowledge of the Integrated Vegetation Management (IVM) principles.
- Familiarity with the National Electric Safety Code and other electrical system safety standards.
- Familiarity with North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) standard FAC-003-3.
- Strong decision making and prioritization skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills that work effectively in both traditional reporting structure as well as a team environment.
- Computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications.
- Ability to learn specialized workflow management software and maintain proficiency with new systems and software as technology evolves.
- Ability to manage budgets.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Demonstrated safety focus.
- Ability to learn new standards and requirements.
- Ability to obtain ISA (or equivalent) Certified Arborist within 12 months of employment.
- Ability to obtain a state specific herbicide license within 12 months of employment.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license or have the ability to obtain one within 30 days of employment.
- Travel within relevant utility operating company service territory to support vegetation management operations is required.
- Occasional travel throughout BHC electric service territory to observe practices at other utility operating companies.
- You must be able to perform the requirements of this position, with or without a reasonable accommodation.
The information contained in this position description describes the general nature and level of work being performed in this job. This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. The incumbent is responsible for performing all duties in a safe and efficient manner in compliance with safe work procedures and safety regulations. This job description is not intended to constitute an offer or contract of employment. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
EEO Employer, Race, Gender, Veterans, Disability
We offer an attractive salary based on qualifications with competitive benefits and a supportive professional work environment.
How to apply: Click here to apply